In some cases, pneumonia in the baby occurs during the neonatal period, that is, during the first month after childbirth. The causes of the disease are directly related to the mother. Infectious diseases, inflammation of the birth canal and even untreated thrush accompanying pregnancy – all this sometimes causes intrauterine pneumonia.
Quite often, pneumonia in infants occurs at a later age. The main causes of the development of the disease are weakened immunity, hypothermia, viruses, bacteria, fungi that enter the body, congenital abnormalities. Parents must pay attention to the symptoms in order to contact the doctor on time.
Signs of pneumonia in newborns
It is worth noting that in newborns there is no cough with pneumonia. This is due to the fact that it is difficult for a child to cough due to poor development of the lungs and their partial incapacity due to illness.
The remaining symptoms are fully consistent with the disease of older children:
- shortness of breath (50-60 breaths per minute), shortness of breath;
- participation in the breathing process of uncharacteristic muscles (neck, clavicular muscles);
- increased body temperature (more than 38 degrees);
- the manifestation of signs of intoxication (lethargy, drowsiness, loose stools);
- accelerated pulse (in newborns 150 and more beats per minute);
- with severe inflammation, a blue mucous membrane of the lips and nasolabial triangle is possible.
Signs of pneumonia in infants older than 30 days
All symptoms correspond to the above, only a cough of various forms (dry and wet) is added. It can manifest itself as a rare phenomenon – not more often than several times per hour, but can constantly disturb the child.